Saturday, May 26, 2012

Park Revisit: Martin Luther King NHS- Atlanta Ga.

As part of a planned visit to Metro Atlanta Sites, my brother Bill and I got to the Martin Luther King NHS in downtown. 

 I had been here in 2010, with Brandon, but as before, I had missed parts of the park, and also, 4 stamps.  So, that was accomplished.  I got to the BirthHome, which I had missed  before, and the Fire Station, which I had missed before also. 



You needed a ticket to get into the birthhome, so we passed on that, but I did get the stamp for this location at the bookstore next to the home, also got the 25th stamp I was missing.  Score!


Then to the Fire House, which was built in 1894, and had a big American LaFrance restored 1927 pumper in it- 
In the main VC, got my stamp there, and also saw the actual cart that they used during the funeral, very moving, and there were lots of other displays. 

Across the street from the Main VC is the Memorial Center, and there you will find the tombs of both Dr and Ms King:

I  got a new for me pin for this site, which replaces one I got last time- It follows the new entrance sign theme for the park....

The Ebenezer Baptist Church is a part of the site also- This is where "Daddy" King and Martin both preached. 

On the way out, there is a very large Mural that tells the King story-  very well
done:


This has always been a moving site for me-  I'm glad I got to spend a proper amount of time here today and see the rest of the park I had previously missed- I have now completed all the stamps listed for this park, there was a site stamp in 3 different locations, and a 25th anniversary stamp also. 



No comments:

Post a Comment